With cold weather and a chance of snow predicted, it definitely sounds like we’ll be staying in, keeping warm and watching Netflix all weekend. With all of this time on your hands and the fresh, local ingredients from the Union Square Greenmarket, we thought we’d partner up with food blogger Dimia Fogam to share this wonderful, easy and healthy recipe of roasted local carrots that are the perfect companion to any winter meal.
The natural sweetness of these stunningly colorful carrots from Phillips Farm’s stand at the Union Square Greenmarket is elevated with the bright acidity of good balsamic vinegar and a touch of honey. Roast them until they are tender and then broil them for a touch of caramelized flavor.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
2 pounds of whole heirloom carrots
3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons of honey
6 sprigs of thyme
sea salt and pepper to taste
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Trim the tops off of the carrots and peel them, leaving them whole. Toss the carrots with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper to taste and then top with four whole sprigs of thyme.
3) Roast the carrots for 30-35 minutes, until they are tender enough to pierce with a fork.
4) Remove the carrots from the oven, toss with the balsamic vinegar, honey, and the remaining 2 sprigs of thyme, chopped.
5) Return the carrots to the oven in the rack furthest from the broiler and broil for 5 minutes until they begin to caramelize.